Summer is ending, which means beach trips and family barbecues are making way for school to begin session again. For many parents, that means it’s time to head into the crowded retail store isles to purchase school supplies for their kids. Back to school shopping can be quite a stressful task, so it’s important to keep calm and remember to keep yourself organized. Here are some tips to help you!
- Buy your supplies early – This may seem like common sense, but with a busy schedule, things can fall through the cracks, and you may find yourself rushing to the store a week or two before school starts, which can make for an unpleasant time.
- Use coupons – Discounts are everywhere when it’s time for back to school shopping. Look for coupon books in the mail, newspaper, and even retail stores. You’re bound to find some good deals to save you money.
- Don’t buy everything at once – When your child hands you a page-long list of supplies, you may feel a little overwhelmed with having to buy everything on the list in one trip. The best thing about buying supplies early is that you have more time to purchase things in parts rather than doing it in one large purchase.
- Buy extra supplies – This one’s important. Keep track of what supplies your children use the most, and always be prepared with extras. Writing utensils and loose-leaf paper are used often, so it’s a good idea to keep a reasonable amount stocked at home.
- Bulk purchases – Coordinate with friends and see what supplies are shared between your shopping lists. Many stores offer discounts when you buy supplies in bigger quantities, which is a win for everyone!
Unfortunately, not everyone has the ability to purchase school supplies for their family. That is why we’ve joined forces with the Manassas Park Fire Rescue Department to help those in need in our community, and you can help! Beginning August 1 through August 22, if you bring a new backpack filled with a box of pencils, a box of colored pencils, three glue sticks, and a pack of paper, you will receive a FREE swim session on us! You can receive up to three sessions by giving back to your community! These supplies will be given out to members of our community at a later date, so keep an eye on our Facebook and Instagram to keep up to date on when the supply drive will take place. With your help, many more kids will be ready for school this year with the right supplies!
Eliut Morales is the Writer/Content Specialist for the City of Manassas Park, Department of Parks and Recreation. He can be reached at 703-335-8872 or via email at email@example.com.