With the temperature hovering around 90 degrees and humidity filling the air, it means that summer has finally arrived. With so many summertime activities and vacations planned, it can all start to feel like a blur. This summer, make time to relax and have fun with friends and family at picnics, pools, or museums!
We hope that you’ll join us at Signal Hill Park, located at 9300 Signal View Dr. Manassas Park, VA, 20111, as we light fireworks to celebrate Fourth of July! If you plan to join us, here are some important reminders:
- Signal Bay Waterpark and Signal Hill Park will close to the general public at 4:30pm on July 4 to begin set-up; all vehicles inside the park will have to move and park in the lot across from Signal Hill.
- Parking at the lot is $5 per vehicle.
- There will be limited accessible parking for patrons with mobility concerns inside and outside of Signal Hill Park.
- After the lots fill up, all traffic will be directed to park at the VRE and ride a free shuttle to and from the event.
- The following items are not allowed inside Signal Hill Park: glass containers, sharp utensils such as knives, outside grills, pressure cookers, alcohol, outside fireworks (including sparklers), and drones.
- We encourage you to leave your pets at home due to the high levels of stress the fireworks and large crowds can cause for them.
- ALL bags will be searched by park staff before you enter the park.
- Fireworks are scheduled to begin around 9:15pm (weather pending).
Make sure you bring your appetite to the event! There will be a variety of food trucks on site to satisfy your cravings. If you have any questions or concerns throughout the event, you’ll find staff around the park as well as at the tent by the entrance.
If you plan to shoot off fireworks in your own neighborhood, please keep these safety precautions in mind, courtesy of the National Council on Fireworks Safety:
- Obey all local laws regarding the use of fireworks.
- Know your fireworks; read the cautionary labels and performance descriptions before igniting.
- A responsible adult should supervise all firework activities. Never give fireworks to children.
- Alcohol and fireworks do not mix.
- Wear safety glasses when shooting fireworks.
- Light one firework at a time and then quickly move away.
- Do not hold a fireworks item in your hand.
- Use fireworks outdoors in a clear area and away from buildings and vehicles.
- Never relight a “dud” firework. Wait 20 minutes and then soak it in a bucket of water before you discard it.
- After purchasing fireworks, always store them in a cool, dry place.
- When using fireworks always have a connected hose, bucket of water, or other water source nearby.
- Never carry fireworks in your pocket or shoot them into metal or glass containers.
- Do not experiment with homemade fireworks.
- Dispose of used fireworks by wetting them down and place them in a metal trashcan away from any building or combustible materials until the next day.
- Ensure all pets and animals are away from fireworks noise.
- With the rise in stress-related disorders affecting service men and women, pay special consideration to individuals who may be sensitive to loud noises in proximity to your fireworks show.
Have a happy and safe Independence Day!
Tony Thomas is the Recreation Services Supervisor for the City of Manassas Park, Department of Parks and Recreation. He can be reached at 703-335-8872 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.