Hot dogs, hamburgers, corn on the cob, star-spangled gear, and sunscreen are probably just a few of the things you need to celebrate Independence Day! Whether you are spending the day with family, friends, or at the local pool, chances are you associate July 4th with FIREWORKS! While we hope you will join us for our annual Fireworks display at Signal Hill Park, you may opt to stay home and enjoy your own fireworks show. However, fireworks can be very dangerous if not used properly. Here are some helpful tips on Firecracker safety:
- Have a sober adult supervising the fireworks. Children should never be left unsupervised with fireworks. Intoxicated adults should also avoid using fireworks.
- Read the instructions and the warning labels on your fireworks! This will be difficult to do once the sun goes down. So be sure to read them when it’s still bright out.
- Fireworks and pets do not go together! Make sure your pets are secure in your house before the fireworks are lit. The loud noises can cause your pets to become nervous and run. Refrain from taking pets to any fireworks display to avoid any accidents.
- Keep a bucket of water and a hose close by. Dispose of all used or unused fireworks in a bucket of water overnight.
- Never shoot fireworks into glass or metal containers.
- If a firework does not ignite, do not attempt to re-light. Wait 20 minutes and then put it in a bucket of water.
- Wear safety goggles! If you want to be able to see NEXT year’s show, best to protect your eyes during THIS year’s show!
- Sparklers may seem like an innocuous firecracker for children, but they can very easily burn children or catch their clothes on fire. Make sure children are properly supervised and have shoes on while handling sparklers. Sparklers burn up to 2000 degrees F!
- Only light one firecracker at a time!
- I hope you and your family have a fun and safe Fourth of July!
Sarah Barnett is the Operations/Aquatics Manager for the City of Manassas Park, Department of Parks and Recreation. She can be reached at 703.335.8872 x1482 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.