TWO OPEN POSITIONS
Library Systems & Services (LS&S) is seeking to fill two part time (20 hours) Library Associate 2 positions for the Manassas Park Public Library in Manassas Park, Virginia. Under direction from management, the Library Associate 2 performs a variety of moderately complex technical and paraprofessional duties at the library circulation (service) desk. They will also greet library patrons entering the library and provides them with excellent customer service. These positions report directly to the Library Director.
The Manassas Park Public Library is a new library scheduled to open Summer 2020. The City of Manassas Park has previously been served by a county library system; the City is now establishing a new library to serve the residents of Manassas Park. The Library Director will lead small library staff team committed to creating a thriving library with excellent patron service. The Manassas Park Public library will be in the Bloom’s Park area and the City plans to build a new facility in coming years.
An individual must be able to perform each essential duty and responsibility satisfactorily.
• Provides excellent customer service
• Assists patrons with locating materials or the reference desk, using computers, or explaining procedures (checking out, logging onto the Internet, making copies, etc.)
• Checks in and processes library materials as necessary
• Accepts and processes fines, fees, or other payments
• Provides information regarding programs, events, conference rooms, etc.
• Shelves library materials
• Addresses or escalates patron conduct or safety issues to appropriate management
• Know and understand the American Library Association’s Library Bill of Rights, Freedom to Read Statement and Freedom to View Statement, recognizing that freedom of access is a fundamental tenet of a public library. In addition to these freedoms, support client discretion of materials available at your local library.
• Follow all legal and policy requirements related to patron privacy and custodianship of patron records
• Other duties as assigned
An individual should possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed and meet the amount of education, training and/or work experience required.
• H.S. Diploma or GED
• Two years of library experience preferred
• Basic knowledge of library systems and databases preferred
• Excellent customer service skills
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
• Good communication skills, both written and verbal
• Multilingual speaking a plus.
• Must be able to work a flexible schedule that may include a combination of days, evenings and weekends
LS&S is an Equal Opportunity Employer: AA M/F/Vet/Disability