The City of Manassas Park is accepting applications for the position of Administrative Assistant in the Department of Parks & Recreation. The essential function of the position within the organization is to provide technical and routine administrative support within the Department of Parks and Recreation. The position is primarily responsible for managing all facets of the department’s daily deposit process, working in close coordination with the City’s Finance Department and Treasurer’s Office, to ensure an efficient, accurate, and timely deposit product. The position executes the department’s bi-weekly payroll process, creates/updates internal tracking mechanisms, compiles/inputs data, processes transactions, and supports senior management with monthly report integration. The position provides technical support, administration, and general oversight of the department’s recreation management software program.
All positions at the City of Manassas Park require a customer service mindset, in accordance with the Customer Service related focus of the City.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
The list represents the essential tasks performed by the position. Employees may be assigned additional duties by management as required.
- Provides administrative support to supervisor and other staff throughout the organization, including scheduling appointments and meetings, preparing correspondence, crafting memos, troubleshooting technical issues, and providing periodic project support functions.
- Manages all aspects of the day-to-day deposit process, administers the department’s biweekly payroll process, schedules and coordinates tasks, compiles data, posts information, answers questions regarding administrative functions; assists with human resource, finance, payroll, and related processes.
- Coordinates with staff and vendors to ensure efficient and accurate transactions; creates and updates internal tracking documents to support division leader’s abilities to input and monitor both operational and personnel related expenditures.
- Receives telephone calls and visitors; provides information, resolves problems/issues, directs calls/visitors to appropriate personnel, assists with form completion, and takes messages as needed.
- Gathers and maintains information/data, both written and digital, to support proper documentation protocols.
- Prepares and maintains records/files; processes daily paperwork.
- Manages department’s delinquency accounts pertaining to memberships, rental contacts, and childcare programs; oversees department collection process and works directly with the City’s Treasurer to reconcile accounts.
- Maintains database, enters data, synthesizes multiple data sets, and coordinates programs/operations for area of responsibility.
- Attends or conducts staff and other professional meetings to exchange information; takes and transcribes meeting minutes; conducts training classes for senior staff.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- DATA RESPONSIBILITY: “Data Responsibility” refers to information, knowledge, and conceptions obtained by observation, investigation, interpretation, visualization, and mental creation. Data are intangible and include numbers, words, symbols, ideas, concepts, and oral verbalization.
- Compiles, examines, or evaluates data or information and possibly recommends action based on results. Proficient with spreadsheets and creating formulas and pivot tables to manage data.
- PEOPLE RESPONSIBILITY: “People Responsibility” refers to individuals who have contact with or are influenced by the position.
- Supervises or directs others by determining or interpreting work procedures, assigning specific duties, maintaining harmonious relations, and promoting efficiency.
- ASSETS RESPONSIBILITY: “Assets Responsibility” refers to the responsibility for achieving economies or preventing loss within the organization.
- Requires responsibility and opportunity for achieving moderate economies and/or preventing moderate losses through the management or handling of supplies of high value or moderate amounts of money.
- MATHEMATICAL REQUIREMENTS: “Mathematics” deals with quantities, magnitudes, and forms and their relationships and attributes by the use of numbers and symbols.
- Uses addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division; may compute ratios, rates, and percents.
- COMMUNICATIONS REQUIREMENTS: “Communications” involves the ability to read, write, and speak.
- Reads journals and manuals; composes specialized reports and business letters using proper format and grammar; speaks to groups of coworkers and people outside the organization. Communicates technical information to a non-technical audience.
- COMPLEXITY OF WORK: “Complexity of Work” addresses the analysis, initiative, ingenuity, creativity, and concentration required by the position and the presence of any unusual pressures.
- Performs semi-routine work involving set procedures and rules, but with frequent problems; requires normal attention with short periods of concentration for accurate results or occasional exposure to unusual pressure.
- IMPACT OF DECISIONS: “Impact of Decisions” refers to consequences such as damage to property, loss of data or property, loss of data or property, exposure of the organization to legal liability, or injury or death to individuals.
- Makes decisions with moderate impact: Responsibilities typically require adaptation of procedures, processes, tools, equipment and techniques to meet the specialized requirements of the position.
- EQUIPMENT USAGE: “Equipment Usage” refers to inanimate objects such as substances, materials, machines, tools, equipment, work aids, or products. A thing is tangible and has shape, form, and other physical characteristics.
- Handles equipment or work aids involving moderate latitude for judgment as computers; software programs such as word processing, spreadsheets or custom applications; printers; complex copiers; facsimile machines; and other similar equipment.
Minimum Education and Training
- Requires high school diploma or GED.
- One year of college or vocational school education in business administration or a closely related field.
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Requires two years of related experience.
- Bilingual in Spanish (Preferred).
The City of Manassas Park is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Manassas Park will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
1. Requires sedentary work involving standing or walking for brief periods, and some dexterity in operating office equipment.
2. The position requires normal visual acuity and field of vision, hearing speaking, and color perception.
Authorized hiring range: $36,500.00 – $48,000.00
If you are interested in becoming a member of our team, you must complete an application form and submit it to:
City of Manassas Park, Human Resources Department, One Park Center Court, Manassas Park, VA 20111
Fax/email: 703-335-1405 / email@example.com
You may obtain an employment application here.
To be considered for the current hiring process you must have your application submitted to the Human Resources Department by Friday, June 18, 2021 close of business.
The City of Manassas Park is committed to ensuring diversity in its workplace, and candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.